Monday, January 31, 2005

better late than never...



About three years ago, my mom bought a new car. Like many new cars, this one was equiped with On-Star -- you know, that service where you can push a button on your car and an operator can hop on an help you with directions, emergency assitance, or even place a call on your behalf? Well, I experienced that last option one day with an exchange that went something like this:

[Phone Rings]

Me: Hello?
Mom: Hi Warren.
Me: Oh, hey mom.
Mom: Guess where i'm calling from?
Me: Um...
Mom: I'm calling from my car!
Me: Oh, that's cool mom...
Mom: Warren, I'm calling from the car!
Me: Yeah, that's great mom...
Mom: Yeah, I can talk to you from my car now, that's where I'm calling you.
Me: So you're driving somewhere?
Mom: No I'm in the garage. Just wanted to see if I can call you from the car! Ok. Bye.
Me: Um... bye.

[Click... Dial tone]

Why do I share this story with you? Because my parents and technology are an interesting combo. It's not a bad thing. In fact, I find it quite endearing. But still, it's always a fun time when my parents try to adopt any "futuristic" new technology. Don't believe me? Check out this email that was sitting in my Inbox tonight:

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 18:39:47 -0800 (PST)
From: "James Wan" <--------@yahoo.com>
Subject: to son

You know that Wendy teach me to set up a new E-Mail .
So please sent back an E-Mail to me that I can a chance to open it.
O K wish you have a good dinner and good nite

from Dad

Wow, just wait until my Dad discovers CDs, cable TV, and TiVo! I can't wait...

No comments: