Tuesday, January 11, 2005

the golden age of music



The other day I found myself flipping around on my car radio, which is rare since I usually listen to a CD or my iPod when cruising the streets. As I made my way across some of my hip hop and rap station presets, I suddenly realized something. Somehow I got old. Damn old.

My honest reaction to some of these tunes -- holy crap, what IS this stuff? Just a mix of noise and nonsense. Where are the good old days when we had songs that meant something? Kids today will never really understand the quality of music that we grew up with. I'm talking about the classics. The REAL music.

Songs like "Rump Shaker" by Wrekx-N-Effect, "I Wanna Sex You Up" by Color Me Badd, "Booti Call" by Blackstreet... the list goes on and on. I challenge a teenager from today's generation to give me a song that can top say, "Rico Suave" by the immortal Gerardo. Go ahead. I'll wait right here.

Ok let me stop you before you waste any more of your limited mental energy. You just can't do it, youngster. It's not your fault. You didn't grow up in the golden age of music. I did. It's unfair, but sometimes life's just that way. Maybe one day you'll have your very own anthem that defines your generation, like Bobby Brown's "Ain't Nobody Humpin' Around" defined mine. It's an outside chance, by hey, miracles happen. Look at the Red Sox.

It's not over yet, you just need a little hope and a little faith. I wish you much luck, my friend. Much luck.

No comments: