Thursday, July 16, 2009

Kudos, Judy Chu



In one of my Random Thoughts rants a couple weeks ago, I posted this:
In my hometown of Monterey Park, CA, some of the officials running for city office used to send pot holders in the mail to each resident with their names printed on them. I guess the hope was that we'd remember their names by using them often. My sister was baking something the last time I was home, and promptly burned her hand using this flimsy pot holder. I said, come on, if you were dumb enough to trust Judy Chu to protect your hands, you deserve to get burned. So, Judy Chu, if you wanted us to remember your name, mission accomplished! However, just know that we associate it with crappiness.

Apparently, no one else associates the name Judy Chu with crappiness, since she's just become the first Chinese-American woman elected to Congress. From the Los Angeles Times:
The San Gabriel Valley Democrat, who will represent the 32nd District, adds the victory to a 24-year political career. She won with nearly 62% of the vote and the support of local political leaders.

So my apologies to Judy Chu, who like me is a fellow Bruin alumnus and former Monterey Park resident. We will cherish your flimsy pot holder for all eternity as you represent a zillion Chinese folks in DC.*

*Actual Chinese population may be slightly under a zillion in the San Gabriel Valley. It only seems that way.

No comments: