Friday, March 02, 2007

golf and life



When I was first introduced to the game of golf, I was intrigued. It seemed so simple on the surface -- just swing a club, knock a ball into a hole. No problem. Then I started to play a bit more, and I found out that golf was actually quite frustrating. Lots of mis-swings and errant shots careening all over the course, but just when things seem terrible, you'll hit a miracle shot that re-ignites your passion for the game.

There was a time when I was really into golf, playing almost every weekend, focusing on improving my game. Then after being in a groove for a while, the wheels just started to come off. Golf got repetitve, my game wasn't growing, I was no longer able to keep my focus during the long rounds, and the miracle shots were fewer and further between. I basically decided not to play anymore. It just wasn't worth the money and the trouble to keep hacking away.

Why do I tell you this? Well, because golf is like relationships. This is what I realized. Sure, it seems like an enjoyable endeavor on paper, but once you actually get in the game, it's really more frustrating than you can ever imagine. Miracle shots keep you coming back, and you practice to refine your swing and keep the game interesting, but a couple bad rounds can really sour you on the whole experience.

But like relationships, I know one day I'll be back swinging away. As a guy, it's just one of those things that you can't avoid. And who knows, maybe I'm no Tiger Woods, but hopefully I'll be able to love the game enough to keep playing until I'm old and gray.

2 comments:

md said...

hey, you want to go golfing this weekend? we also have a 9 hole, with an all you can eat taco bar nearby for $15.

tatertot said...

yo - that's deep.