Thursday, June 19, 2008

Happy (Belated) Father's Day



Since I wrote an entry about my mom on Mother's Day, I figured it's only fair to honor dear old dad for Father's Day. Sorry to my pops for getting around to this entry a little bit late, but as a Laker fan, he can certainly understand why I was a bit preoccupied earlier this week. Dad, we choked. And yes, Pau is soft.

In any case, of the many traits that my dad has passed along to my sister and me, one of the habits that we try the hardest to shake is our packrat mentality. My dad is the ultimate packrat. A small sampling of his madness:
  • He has kept nearly every pair of shoes he and I have ever worn. You know, in case I need those Air Flight II's with the hole in the sole.
  • He will not allow us to throw away broken electronics, hence our garage is filled with old clock radios, handheld radios, bulky walkmans, cassette decks, cheesy 80's stereo systems, and an 8-track player. If that kid from Hereos comes over and touches everything to fix it, we'll be set with radios for about 9 lifetimes.
  • He has numerous screws, bolts, nuts, and washers from various projects begun since the advent of his time in the U.S. This collection encompasses about 400 jars and boxes labeled and displayed in the garage.

And the strange packrat syndrome isn't limited to the house. No, it extends outside as well. Like what? Well, I don't think a mere description does this justice. Let's take a little tour of our backyard, shall we?


This is just a small sampling of the various basketballs I have had over the years. There are about 3 or 4 more in the garage itself. Look at that one on the top left:


Yes, it actually has no cover. That is a completely bald basketball. I'm glad my dad is holding onto it for safekeeping.


Someone gave me this cuckoo clock when I was around 8 years old. It now resides in this tool shed that my dad built. But that's not all that's in the shed...


Hey look, it's my old blacklight-ready Twilight Zone poster. Looks great framing the chainsaw and Easy-Off, doesn't it?


And ok, maybe my dad wants to display his golf button. I mean, he does love golf with all his heart. But why the need to display the pink plastic Happy Birthday sign? I think that came from some flowers I sent my mom about 4 years ago.


You know how sometimes you buy souvenirs on a trip and you have no idea what to do with them? Well, I bought a conch shell when we went on a family trip to the Caribbean about 12 years ago. When I brought it home, I really had no idea where to display it. But apparently my dad did. In a random corner of the garden. Sitting upright on a wooden post. Gorgeous!


Of course I saved the best for last. You see that thing in the bushes over there? No? Wait, let me get closer...


Do you see it now? It's right there. Still no? Ok, let me take one more step...


What is that, you might ask? It's a green dinosaur that my sister made in pottery class back in high school. Now it sits at the base of this little bush. Why? Your guess is as good as mine.

So there you go. Grand tour over. Did you enjoy yourself? I know I did. I actually don't mind the packratting so much. It's somewhat interesting to see where the things you owned back in the 8th grade are going to end up next. And my dad is one of the most organized people I've ever met. Although he keeps virtually everything, he can tell you exactly where any of it is should you ever need it. Will I ever need the free giveaway Quentin Richardson poster from that random Clippers game I attended in 1999? Who knows. But if I ever do, I know who to call.

Happy Father's Day, Dad!

No comments: